Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Full Circle

In April 2008, I was in a new relationship. I was intrigued by and really falling for a new guy. We were approaching Holy Week and this new guy suggested we take a half day on Good Friday. We spent the afternoon hiking up Kennesaw mountain, and after finding a huge boulder, sat down together and said a rosary. I got home that day and immediately wrote my grandmother a letter. Dear Grandma, there's this new boy. And today we said a rosary. out loud. together. during a hike. The rest is history, beautiful, complex, blessed history.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years, one wedding and one baby, and we were preparing to celebrate Ross's 33rd birthday. Not one for material gifts (other than a good bottle of scotch), he requested we take our new babe on a hike back up Kennesaw mountain. The fall weather made it a perfect choice and up we went. Admittedly happy to have the extra 15lbs attached to me to tighten up these, well, everything, we set out and had a wonderful day. With only one minor-'when the heck are we getting there, mama is tired' moment, we reached a perch with a stunning view of Atlanta. We sat down. I fed our little gal and Ross began the The glorious mysteries. I was holding my baby, saying a rosary with my husband, on the same mountain where I knew he could be the one just a few years ago. I don't know when I've felt such utter peace, confirmation, joy.

So, happy birthday to God's single greatest gift to me. Thank you for getting this book worm off the sofa and into the great outdoors. I'd be missing so much if it weren't for you. I can't wait for our girl to see all the beautiful nature, hand in hand, with the best dad in the world!




3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Keri. She is so absolutely beautiful! I just shed a few tears at this post and something else happened....ask me later...only a nursing mama could relate. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just teared up..... Happy Birthday Ross! Thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet keri, and that baby of yours is absolutely beautiful! (and i just caught up on your newer posts and we must get together soon...always feeling shame for my lack of excitement over my role. i think, once again, we'd have a LOT to chat about).

    ReplyDelete