Monday, February 18, 2013

Cinco Meses

Two weeks ago, our precious boy turned 5 months old. I think it may be his first monthly post and it's late. Sorry, my dear second child, c'est la vie. He may not get a monthly post, but fear not. This boy, my Thomas, is loved beyond measure.  My dreamboat baby. A few things about my boy at 5 months old.

  • Roughly a whopping 15 lbs and a wee little 23 inches long. Round and short and perfect.
  • Sports an old man's toupee right on top his sweet little head. Wild, hilarious hair.
  • Still exclusively breastfed with a few tries with oatmeal. Tongue thrust is still pretty pronounced so we'll wait another month before we press the solid food issue. We did introduce him to those gross baby mum mums but have some fine motor skills to work on.
  • Little man sleeps on his belly (shhhh) from 8p to 6:30-7:30 depending on the day (or depending on how loud big sister is yelling "get me outta this crib."). Pushing back that bedtime to 7:30 this week.
  • He is such a smiley boy. Just throwing a glance and a slightly exaggerated "hiii Thomas," guarantees you a huge smile.
  • He loves his mama's right hip. 99 times out of a 100, you will find our guy on my hip, facing outward, just taking in the world. He rarely prefers to be anywhere else.
  • That said, I can sometimes get 15 minutes of little man in the exersaucer or on the play mat, less time in the bumbo. Then he is calling for his perch again.
  • Like his sister (and all other children on earth??), is happy the second we walk outside and quickly soothed by fresh air.
  • Is a great eater, giving our days much more predictability than those with Mary Kate at this age.
  • Like Mary Kate, loves his daddy. I do not say that out of obligation but the fact is my kids have a fantastic  dad who treasures them, treasures quality time with them and loves them immensely. They feel that and respond to it.
  • Loves his mama too. Like I said, he smiles at just about anyone but I'll go out on a limb and say that I get them the fastest. Maybe he values his food source, maybe he likes an unshowered, tired looking lady but he does seem to like his old lady.
  • Is a little fish. Unlike his big sis at that age (sorry for the constant comparisons!), he loves loves his bath. He's ready to graduate from the sink but it's so easy and he loves every minute of the warm water. On rough days, I'll put MK down for a nap and Thomas and I will take a warm bubble bath. He loves it and mama does too.
  • Has two bottom teeth coming in at the ripe old age of 5 months. No telling how long it will take them to break through but until then we simply have 2 tons of drool covering every shoulder, fist, outfit, etc. Nursing is getting interesting too.
  • Doesn't love the carseat (as in, hates it) but if we get into the car .2 seconds after a mammoth feeding, he screams less
  • Praise the Lord, seriously, praise the Lord, He will take a pacifier. It isn't a cure all but buys me time when I need it. It is soooo nice not to BE the pacifier as I was with MK.
  • Goes down easily for a morning nap, wide awake, as long as he hasn't been up for more than an hour or so. Working on lengthening that nap a bit so he and big sis can nap at the same time in the afternoon. Right now, dreamboat is ready to sleep again by 11 or noon and I'd love to get him to 12:30 or even 1. But I'm not complaining. I know I'm lucky that he will actually nap!
I know there's more but I just wanted to jot those down before I forgot. I feel like all you mamas of boys have been holding out on a big secret, this intensity of love for a little boy. It is no greater than my love for MK, but is unique, just as I know the love will be for any future babes. I just can't say enough how much I adore this child, even at 4 am or on non-napping days or days where my hit is chaffed from his bottom not moving from it all day. Thomas Perry, you've got my heart little boy (and your dad's and sister's too!)  I am so thankful that you are here, happy and healthy and perfect.

Photo: An Instagram repeat but can't resist. Same chins, same smile, new day of (mostly) sweetness!

2 comments:

  1. 5 months and teeth already?? That really scares me! He is hyper cute though, what a sweet smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaa, its good dialogue concerning this piece of writing
    here at this website, I have read all that,
    so at this time me also commenting at this place.


    Also visit my blog post: leadinghomeprofitnetwork.net

    ReplyDelete