Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Tribute to Moms

My new favorite holiday is fast approaching. Next Sunday will be my first Mother's Day. (I actually thought it was this Sunday but since I'm actually sitting down at the computer, we're gonna go with it) As my BFF reminded me, this is the 1st year that I really get to celebrate all that this loaded word, mother, has come to mean. Each day I grow more in awe with the enormous, exhausting, exhilirating, enchanting job that is being a mama. And since I know that on that day I'll be a ball of incoherant emotions (as usual. maybe), I wanted to share some things that have inspired me recently.

Our MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) steering team does a monthly bible study. We are reading Tender Mercy for a Mother's Soul.  It has encouraged me more than I can ever say. This week's chapter was called Grace Upon Grace. That about sums up what we give and what we need 4,000,000 times a day (as mothers, or in any other role in life- maybe moreso as wife ;) In this chapter was a beautiful tribute to moms that I wanted to share. I think each one of us can find our moms or someone who was like a mom to us in this.

"A Tribute to Moms"
This is for all the mothers who froze their bottoms off on metal bleachers at soccer games Friday night instead of watching from cars, so that when their kids asked, "Did you see my goal?" they could say, "Of course, I wouldn't have missed it for the world," and mean it.
This is for all the mothers who have sat up all night with sick toddlers in their arms, wiping up chunks of hot dogs and cherry soda that suddenly reappeared saying, "It's okay honey, Mommy's here."
This is for all the mothers of Kosovo who feld the night and can't find their children.
This for the mothers who gave birth to babies they will never see...and the mothers who took those babies and made homes for them.
This is for the mothers of victims of school shootings...and the mothers of the murderers.
This is for all the mothers who run carpools and make cookies and sew Halloween costumes...and all the mothers who don't.
This is for reading, "Goodnight, Moon" twice a night for a year...and reading it again, "just one more time."
This is for all the mothers who mess up, who yell at their kids in the grocery store and stomp their feet like a tired two 29 year old who wants ice cream for before dinner.
This is for all the mothers who taught their daughters to tie their shoelaces before they started school...and for the mothers who opted for velcro instead.
This for the mothers who show up at work with spit-up in their hair, milk stains on their blouses and diapers in their purse.
and my personal favorite~
This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot. - Author unknown.

my first day as a new mom, in disbelief that this baby was a GIRL!

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful. And that picture sums it up! Hope you are truly celebrated on Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete