Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Trimester, New Outlook

Today is a good day. It's 9:28 and it's already a good day. Reasons, you ask, in jittery anticipation?

1. I only got up to pee 1 time last night. I do not know what happened. (sike, I think it's because I haven't had more than 6 ounces of water in 3 days). But whatever, if a little dehydration gets me the best nights sleep I've had in 28 weeks, I'll take it. And mom, relax. I will be drinking water today. I don't want my kid to shrivel up.

2. Today marks the beginning of the 3rd trimester. This is the last trimester I have to get through in order to see my baby. There is a light at the end of this tunnel and every day I get more and more hopeful and desirous of seeing my child's face.

3. Said child is now kicking very often with crazy strength. It is a whole different kind of kick and I love it. Husband hasn't felt them yet but babe is making him/herself much more known. Every kick makes me stop, smile, and say thank you to God. The frequency of that gratitude is making my days much better.

4. There was very little traffic this morning and despite last minute laundry, getting out of bed late, fixing my coke for the drive and dropping R off at work, I got to work on time. It's an especially good day because while I got to work on time, I forgot my badge proving that I got to work on time and my boss just smiled and said okay. (as in, she didn't give me some snarky comment about it and ruin my already great morning).

5. Yesterday I advocated for a patient who was treated so poorly by security. Even though he threw his crutches at me during his anger, he came back, with tears in his eyes and apologized. I apologized because he was treated worse than a criminal by two rent-a-cops who have no business treating my patients like that. I told the story to my boss who was livid and asked me to write up a second incident report and she would pass it further up the chain than the nurse and I did yesterday. Of all the roles you play as social worker, advocating feels the most true to our profession. Today, I am happy that I get to do this job.

6. Ross and I are making some progress on the car front. As silly as it sounds, we are even praying about it, wanting to ensure that we get a good, safe vehicle while not compromising the financial security we have worked hard to build.

7. I get to be pregnant.

8.  I get to have a baby. I figured it would, but never could have imagined how joyful I would feel getting to say that. Thank you, thank you God, thank you.

9. Filling my heart with gratitude, as opposed to the last few days of frustration and contempt, is like fresh air.

10. After 2 days of said frustration and contempt, my husband and I are still happily married. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment